BURGE FENCE, MAKING HISTORY IN KANSAS CITY

In 1888, Fred Burge founded the Greensboro Fire Escape Co., fabricating and installing steel fire escapes throughout the Kansas City area.

In 1920, working out of a building at 1329 E. 12th Street, Kansas City, MO, Fred and his son Boise Burge formed Burge Fence & Iron Works, fabricating and installing quality chain link and wrought iron fencing.

The 1940’s brought World War II. With steel available in small amounts, Burge Fence fabricated steel playground equipment. After the war the Burges built and moved into a building at 4231 Pennsylvania, Kansas City, MO, in the Westport area. They expanded their product line by adding fire escapes, spiral staircases, burglar bars, railings, dog runs and steel security doors.

In 1950, Burge Fence welcomed a 3rd generation into its business. Tom Burge and Boise Burge Jr.

In the 1960’s Burge Fence began fabricating their own wood fences using red wood, red cedar, white cedar and oak. With two sons on staff, the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s brought many new opportunities, Burge fenced in the Kansas City Royals and Chiefs Stadiums, the first phase of the Kansas City International Airport, Worlds
of Fun, Country Club Plaza, Crown Center, The Kansas Turnpike, Paseo Bridge, I-35 Hwy, American Royal, Mission Hills, Milburn, Kansas City and Meadowbrook Country Clubs, Yellow Freight, Midwest Conveyor, Shawnee Mission and Kansas City Schools, as well as numerous residential subdivisions.

In 1978 Boise Burge, Sr. passed away and Tom Burge, Sr. took over the company and sold the building at 4231 Pennsylvania, moving his office to Leawood, Kansas.

In 1985 Burge Fence welcomed in a 4th generation, Tom Burge, Jr. to manage the Residential Sales and Advertising Departments.

In 1986, three more sons joined Burge Fence - Chris Burge, Sales and Purchasing, Jeff and Mike Burge, Installation.

In 1987, Tom Burge, Sr. along with his sons, opened a new warehouse in Olathe, Kansas.

In 1988, the Burges hired Graham Giblin, Jr. and began expanding the fence business by building decks, tie walls, columns, gate arbors and patio sunshades.

In 1990, the Burges expanded the company into wood protection and preservation.

In 1994, Burge Fence relocated both their Leawood office and Olathe warehouse to a new building at 6770 W. 152 Terrace, Overland Park, Kansas.

In 2003, Burge expanded their line offering maintenance free powder coated steel and powder coated aluminum.

In 2009, Burge expanded their custom wrought iron shop by fabricating egress covers and spiral staircases.

Since 1920 the Burge Fence family continues to provide personal service and attention, quality workmanship and materials at a fair price throughout the Kansas City Metro area. Burge Fence continues to lead the way, installing over 1,700 jobs a year.